Home Page

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

Lamplugh C of E School SEND Policy and Information Report

How Lamplugh CE School responds to the Local Offer


How does the setting know if my child needs extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

  • At Lamplugh CE School we seek to identify children with special educational needs through a range of approaches. 
  • We have regular formal meetings with parents.
  • There is always an open door policy whereby the parents are welcomed into school to discuss their concerns about their child initially with the class teacher and/or the Senco (Special Needs Co-ordinator).


How will setting staff support my child?

  • At Lamplugh School we have two Senior Teaching Assistants (STAs) who help provide support for children including those who require extra help.
  • The school uses a range of equipment to support the learning – eg. iPads and coloured overlays for reading.
  • Your child will be working on an Individual Education Plan written to include SMART targets (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time scaled) by the class teacher with consultation with the SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordination Officer) whereby they will set small focused targets and list the provision given to support your child.
  • These IEPs will be reviewed regularly with all the staff supporting your child and new targets will be devised to ensure progress is maintained.  
  • If it is deemed that your child is not making the agreed progress the SENCO will then complete a SEND Early Help referral form asking advice from a range of outside agencies – Specialist Teachers, Educational Psychologist, Speech Therapy etc who will contribute to a Team Around the Family meeting.


What support do you have for parents of a child with SEN?

  • We have an open door policy where the parents can discuss their concerns about their child with relevant teaching staff.  
  • Staff are trained to provide extra support to ensure pupils reach their full potential
  • We work closely with parents and keep them informed of pupil progress on a regular basis
  • Please refer to our ‘Special Educational Needs Policy’


How are the School governors involved?

  • The SENCO will provide a termly report to governors and we have a named SEN Governor (Emma McLaughlin) who meets regularly with the SENCO.
  • The governors agree priorities for spending within the SEN budget with the overall aim that all children received the support they need to order to make progress and ultimately seek to close the educational gap.


How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

  • At Lamplugh School we offer a broad and balanced curriculum which seeks to engage all children. 
  • Lessons are differentiated to match ability and target groups are identified in the regular weekly planning formats for literacy and maths.
  • Support staff (STAs and TAs) and equipment is provided to enable all children to access and engage with the curriculum regardless of their ability.
  • We have an inclusive curriculum and all children are able to access activities in a variety of settings


How will I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  • At Lamplugh CE School, we hold two parents’ evenings (one in the Autumn Term and one in the Spring Term) where parents will be given a summary of their child’s progress against national expectations with an optional third parents’ evening after the annual written reports go out to parents in July.   
  • We also offer the open door policy whereby parents are able to come into school to briefly discuss with their child’s teacher at the beginning of each day or make an appointment for a longer discussion at a more convenient time (usually the end of a day’s teaching session).
  • Continuous, formative assessment allows the teachers to closely plan and identify the next steps in learning for the class.
  • Lamplugh School uses a detailed tracking system to monitor the progress of all the children, with regular meetings (Pupil Progress meetings) between the class teachers and the head teacher, the progress of children is discussed and interventions are decided upon to close the gaps in their learning. 
  • The children who are on an IEP (Individual Education Plan) will also have the opportunity to discuss their child’s progress against the targets and the raising of a new IEP where necessary.  These meetings will be held at least twice a year or more frequently if it is deemed necessary.
  • Parents are invited to curriculum open afternoons/evenings which seek to provide an overview of the teaching and learning that is in each class.
  • The children have weekly home learning which is differentiated to their needs to enable them to make progress against planned targets.  
  • If your child has a statement you will be invited in for an Annual Review of their current needs and academic progress against their targets, these are now replaced with Educational Health Care Plans (EHCP) 
  • The school regularly updates parents through newsletters and short informal messages electronically, but there are paper copies available.  Information can be accessed through the school’s website


What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

  • We monitor attendance and follow up any concerns if a child is regularly late in arriving to school.
  • STAs/TAs are trained to deal with any medical needs a pupil may have and their training is kept up to date.
  • Staff are trained in first aid.
  • Individual health care plans have been drawn up and discussed with the parents.
  • Each class teacher has a list of children with their medical details
  • The school meals provider is made aware of any children with dietary concerns and deals with this appropriately
  • The school has a policy regarding the administration and managing of medicines on the school site. 
  • Inhalers are kept in classrooms and the children are able to access them when required with supervision by teachers or support staff
  • When off–site, the medical needs of children are taken into account and relevant medicines will be carried by the trip leader.
  • The school has a clear behaviour policy and an anti-bullying policy whereby all staff are expected to be responsible for behaviour; parents are kept informed of any negative behaviour at the earliest stage.
  • Risk assessments are undertaken before any educational visit with the correct ratio of adults to children.


What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting?

  • Specialist services and expertise such as Educational Psychologists, School Nurse, Health visitors, Speech Therapists and Specialist Teaching Service  these can be accessed through referral by the school with permission from the parents.
  • Other agencies such as behaviour specialists and social care can be accessed by the setting.


How accessible is the settings environment?

  • The school is all on one level.
  • There is ramped access at the back of the school building to allow wheelchair access
  • There is a disabled toilet which accommodates one changing and toilet facility
  • Technology is available to assist pupils with their learning ie iPads, voice commands on the computers. 
  • We seek to communicate with parents/carers whose first language is not English through spending time with them on an individual basis to explain the information we are sending out if they require it.


How will the setting prepare and support my child to join school or to transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life?

  • Before the official entry into Lamplugh C of E School the children are invited to attend a taster day (parents can remain with their child if they so wish). 
  • Children and parents are also invited into school for extra meet and greet sessions to ensure a smooth stress free entry into school is achieved.
  • Transition activities are planned in the summer term to ensure children are supported and prepared for their new classes in September. 
  • There is a planned moving day whereby all of the children move up to their new classrooms and spend the whole day with their new class teacher and support staff.
  • Year 6 children have opportunities to visit and spend time in their chosen Secondary School during the Summer term.
  • When a child moves partway through an academic year, a file of current work showing the abilities of the child is sent to their new school. There is also the option, if the receiving teacher requires more information, that they can telephone the school to speak to the class teacher.
  • Our school website has a section for parents that contains newsletters, diary dates and general information.


How are the settings’ resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

  • The class teacher along with the SENCO will discuss the child’s needs and what support and resources would be appropriate.
  • Children are taught in a range of different groupings to help bridge the gap to achieve age expected levels.
  • We have two STAs (Senior Teaching Assistants) who are both very experienced and support a range of groups to meet the children’s needs.


How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

  • Decisions are made in consultation between the class teacher, the SENCO, the Senior Leadership Team as well as with the parents.  These decisions are based upon termly tracking of pupil progress and assessment (Pupil Progress Meetings with the Head and the individual class teachers) at which times there are detailed discussions related to the planned interventions and their effectiveness in supporting your child to meet age expected outcomes.
  • Decisions may also be made in consultation with other agencies, when appropriate eg advice from an Educational Psychologist, Speech Therapist.   


Who can I contact for further information?

  • Your first point of contact should be your child’s class teacher.
  • You could also arrange to meet Mrs Katie Robinson who is our Acting Headteacher and Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENDCo).
  • Look at our SEN policy on the school website as well as other school policies.
  • Contact Cumbria SEND IAS Service (Deborah Turner 07827 308 469, Email
  • Contact IPSEA (Independent Parental Special Education Advice)
  • If you are considering whether your child should join the school, contact the school office to make an appointment to meet the Headteacher.